If you want to acquire the skills on the SMAW or stick welding process, electrode identification, welding symbols and joint design, you must take the Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) / Stick welding course or program in a welding school. Some of the vocational training schools, technical trade schools, community colleges and universities are offering SMAW or Stick welding course and training programs.
The Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) Certification is designed to students with the extensive training in Shielded Metal Arc Welding or Stick welding process, welding symbols, electrode identification and joint design. Welding schools also the education in which students will learn the proper settings on various brands and models of arc welders. Included in the course, students will have basic training on how to cut metals and setup for various welding positions.
What Skills will you learn in the Shielded Metal Arc Welding Course?
Students who want to be a certified shielded Metal Arc Welder will take the SMAW or stick-welding course. In this course, the students will learn the following competencies:
- Students can demonstrate the differences in welding with each of the three types of current
- Students can identify what type of welding machines will be use
- Students will know how to select and set the welding current
- Students can describe the proper maintenance of SMA welding equipment
- Students can demonstrate how to safely set up an SMA welding station
- Students can demonstrate how to control undercut, overlap, porosity, and slag inclusions when SMA welding
- Students can demonstrate the effect of electrode angle on a weld
Interested individuals or welders who want to get certified in Shielded Metal Arc Welding will take 30 hours to complete the course. The completion of the Shielded Metal Arc Welding or Stick welding course and program will certifies proficient understanding of basic arc welding based on a score of 80% or higher on competency exams. A Certificate of Skills Competence is available upon request.
What are the requirements to enroll in the Shielded Metal Arc Welding Course and program?
Interested individuals are required to submit a copy of their high school diploma or GED. You will submit this upon registration. He/she must be at least 16 years old to take this course. Welding Introduction and Safety Course must be completed prior to this course.